Are you looking for incredibly delicious vegan ice cream in Taipei? Look no further! The minute I head about BeiMen Feng LiBing I couldn’t wait to go. BeiMen Feng LiBing (北門鳳李冰) is a shop that’s specializing in sorbets and ice cream made out of local ingredients. All of their offerings are 100% vegan.
They have a fairly small menu with a great selection of seasonal flavors. They have an English menu on the countertop which makes ordering super easy! When I visited (August/September 2018) they offered the following flavors:
- Salty Plum
- Mung Bean
The ice cream, unfortunately, comes in a paper cup (which is probably lined with plastic). The good news is that you are not being handed a plastic spoon and if you need one you can grab one. To reduce waste I simply used my spork. The great thing is that they encourage people to clean their used spoons and cups. After you are done with your ice cream you simply head to their “washing station” to clean your stuff. This helps a lot with recycling!
Taste & texture
I ended up staying in Taipei for almost two weeks and ended up trying almost all of their flavors. I was so stoked to have found vegan ice cream in Taipei!
These are the flavors I ended up trying:
- Salty Plum: Salty Plum is rather icy, not creamy at all, and very rich in flavor. If you don’t mind an icy texture then I’d definitely try it.
- Taro: Taro is incredibly creamy and not overly sweet. It’s not at all watery and has the perfect texture. It’s much much closer to actual ice cream than sorbet. I really like this flavor and think it’s very unique. I ended up having Taro multiple times and it’s hands down my favorite vegan ice cream in Taipei!
- Peanut: Peanut is not as creamy as Taro and definitely chunkier. I absolutely love peanuts and was so glad that I picked this one! If you are a lover of peanuts then I would definitely go for it. I had it multiple times and absolutely loved it! Peanut and Taro are definitely my favorite flavors!
- Mung Bean: Mung Bean is as creamy as Taro and a delicious pick. This one goes great with Taro or Peanut.
- Longan: Longan, just like Salty Plam, is rather icy and not creamy at all. That being said, it’s a unique flavor and I recommend trying it, despite the icy texture.
It’s worth noting that the portions at BeiMen Feng LiBing (北門鳳李冰) are huge. They fill the container to the brim with ice cream! The above-pictured containers with two flavors each were NT $50. My man said that to him the portion is more of a meal and less of a dessert. If you don’t have a huge appetite I would recommend sharing one!
Is BeiMen Feng LiBing (北門鳳李冰) worth checking out?
Yes! If you are a lover of ice cream I would definitely check it out. They offer really interesting flavors, have both sorbets and ice cream and their Peanut and Taro is to die for! If that sounds like something you enjoy then I would highly recommend you to go. Let me know in the comments which flavor you ended up trying! 🙂